We are recruiting an experienced Senior Sustainability & Energy Consultant for the Energy & Environment team within our thriving Development Consultancy, based at our Smithfield studio. Principal Duties
The broad scope of the role will be to:
- Develop energy and sustainability strategies on projects, including net zero carbon and climate change strategies for large residential and mixed-use master planning applications.
- Carry out environmental modelling and building analysis to support energy and CO2 calculations, overheating assessments and thermal modelling to comply with various environmental assessments (UK Building Regulations-Part L compliance, BREEAM. LEED, WELL etc).
- Assist with daylight, sunlight and wind assessments reports for planning.
- Provide input into bids, competition entries and research projects.
- Provide advice and training to staff and clients.
- Assist the team Associate with business development.
- Developing sustainability and environmental strategies on architectural projects, to meet the client’s brief, site conditions and statutory requirements. This would include emerging requirements around net zero carbon reporting and the new London Plan requirements.
- Carrying out 3D environmental modelling and building analysis in specialist software packages such as Elmhurst SAP, IES VE, Passivhaus Therm, Tally etc., (MBS Waldram Tools and Simscale). This will include the preparation of the analysis models in 3D modelling software such as Revit or AutoCAD.
- Preparation of technical and professional reports of a sufficiently high standard of quality, suitable for submission as part of an EIA, planning submission, or research report.
- Preparation of supporting graphical material for reports and presentations to illustrate key technical concepts and project findings.
- Advising the client and consultant team on planning policy and environmental standards relevant to particular projects, and presenting the strategy proposals to clients, consultant team, stakeholders and statutory bodies.
- Liaising with existing clients to help maintain continuing relationships, and promoting the team’s services with prospective clients
- Keeping up to date with industry developments.
- Assisting the Associate with project programming, resources and invoicing.
- Providing sustainability input into bids and competition entries, including the preparation of text and graphics to support the submission.
- Writing news articles and opinion pieces for publication in industry journals or social media.
- Preparation of data and policy summary sheets for internal use and issue to clients.
- Presenting at internal and external events.
- Environmental or sustainability-related post-graduate or Masters qualification.
- Consultancy experience advising on sustainability/energy for residential architectural projects.
- Experience with preparing analysis and documents to support planning submissions on projects.
- Building modelling expertise.
- Knowledge of current local and national planning policies, including that of the Greater London Authority, as well as experience of developing sustainability and energy strategies for residential and non-residential buildings, ideally with fluency in issues such low energy design, energy modelling, renewable energy technologies, net zero carbon (operational and embodied), comfort analysis, environmental design, circular economy principles, One Planet Living principles, Passivhaus, water and waste management, ecology and biodiversity.
- Knowledge and experience of CHP systems, heat pumps, district heating solutions and carbon offsetting strategies.
Other Skills & Attributes
- Passion for sustainability and the environment
- Creative and innovative with an appreciation for the appropriateness, viability and practicality of solutions
- Efficient and organised, with good time management skills
- Ability to work alone or as part of a team
- Ability to lead on project and manage deliverables from other team members and/or subconsultants
- Ability to build strong relationships with clients and collaborators from across the design team
- Enthusiasm and a willingness to learn
- Strong communication, report writing and presentation skills
Salary and benefits are competitive.
Please send a CV to: Recruitment@prp-co.uk, quoting reference PRPLON_SSC.
PRP is an equal opportunities employer.