PRP

Planning granted for multigenerational living scheme

By PRP – 12 April 2021

Plans to repurpose the former St Thomas’ Hospital buildings into a new multi-purpose and multi-generational town centre neighbourhood have been approved last night. The scheme has been designed by PRP's Manchester studio.

Stockport Council and Stockport Homes have proposed a development that will bring 67 new homes and a 70-bed care facility to the site, which has lain unused for over 15 years. Originally built in 1841 as a workhouse and infirmary and expanded in 1868, St Thomas Hospital later saw use as an NHS facility until 2004. The main Grade II-listed workhouse and infirmary buildings will be preserved in the scheme that has been brought forward after Stockport Council took ownership of the site in 2019, with the support of a Homes England grant.

80% of homes will be made available through shared ownership, with the remaining 20% for social rental. Should planning permission be granted, work on the site is expected to begin in the Spring 2021.

The Academy of Living Well, a 70-bed intermediate care and dementia facility is also planned for the North-eastern end of the site. The facility will support those transitioning between hospital and the home, and work to support the borough’s approach to health and social care integration. Public gardens are also proposed on the corner of Shaw Heath and Holland Mill Road as part of plans.

Architects on the scheme, PRP, have proposed designs that demonstrate best practice, with the new build houses and the Academy of Living Well being designed to Passivhaus and BREEAM Excellent standards respectively. The historic setting of the existing listed buildings as well as each of the spaces between them have been preserved and respectfully reimagined, bringing new life and vibrancy to the site.

This development will secure a sustainable use for the remaining heritage assets, safeguarding them for future generations by sensitively retaining as much of the historic fabric of St Thomas’ as possible. Carefully considered new buildings will reinforce the historic layout, thereby allowing the story of St Thomas’ and its importance to Stockport to continue to be understood and appreciated.

Ed Cutler, architect at PRP said: "It has been an incredibly rewarding project, working alongside Stockport Homes and SMBC, to develop a new concept where intergenerational, affordable living and transitional care, have come together to create a stunning new development in Stockport’s emerging residential quarter. The historic setting of the existing listed buildings as well as each of the spaces between them have been preserved and respectfully reimagined, bringing new life and vibrancy to the site. Buildings across the site – both new and old – will help to create an inclusive environment, which will serve both residents and the wider community, delivering improved health outcomes to enhance residents’ wellbeing and happiness. We strongly support the ambition and vision behind this project, and look forward to our continued involvement in realising the scheme.”

St Thomas’ Gardens will form part of the larger Royal George Quarter proposed for the town centre, alongside the redevelopment of former Stockport College buildings by Investar.

The application went before Stockport Council’s Central Area Committee last week where members agreed that the proposals would make good use of the site that has been derelict for many years. The application will be decided on March 25th at the planning committee meeting where approval is recommended.

The new homes on-site will contribute to Stockport MDC’s vision of delivering 3,500 new homes and transforming Stockport Town Centre West into the region’s ‘newest, coolest, greenest’ urban neighbourhood. The MDC was established in 2019 to lead regeneration of the area using the Greater Manchester Mayor’s devolved powers.

NOTES TO EDITORS

For more information, please contact Amelie Barrau, Head of Communications and PR at PPR: a.barrau@prp-co.uk

About PRP

PRP is a long-established architectural firm with over 100 awards to its name. An interdisciplinary practice, PRP offers a full range of design and building services including masterplanning, urban design, landscape and development consultancy.

Few know as much about housing design and urban regeneration as PRP. With over 55 years’ experience to draw on, PRP has established an exemplary track record in the design and delivery of homes and places of varying scale, complexity and diversity. PRP employs more than 250 staff across its London, Manchester and Surrey studios. https://www.prp-co.uk/